- Art community founded by Custom Circus in 2004 -
The Company - The Troupe
It is literally impossible to aproach the origins of Nirvana Studios without addressing first the CustomCircus own story at customcircus.com
The 3 Moons Symbol
The 3 Moons represent the 3 founders of Nirvana Studios in a fusion of 3 pictograms; Hindu, Celtic and Egyptian, whose message is the cultural confluence between all the cardinal points from the East, West or Middle East. As a logo it was registered on the atypical day of February 29, 1996 for NirvanaProductions
Why Nirvana Studios?
The name Nirvana comes from the dawn of times deeply connected with the genesis of Hinduism. It's synonymous of peace, balance and wisdom in ourselves. From the Nirvana Studios founders analogy (a woman and two men) with the three United Artists pioneers (Mary Pickford, Charlie Chaplin and DouglasFairbanks) we also "jumped" the word Studios as a recuerdo that in its earliest days, Hollywood was humbly built with boards and canvases and the 7th Art was despised by the cultural elites of the time.
This outdoor gallery, which may also be visited digitally, exhibits through multimedia content the whole history of Nirvana Studios. The tour has 80 markers, most of which are visible on Nirvana Boulevard. nirvana.pt/mapa
The Military Hangars
Purchased in ruins with self-financing by the Custom Circus troupe, this former fort from the EstadoNovo (Portuguese Fascist Regime 1933-1974). The compound was the warehouse of the Braço de Prata weapons factory (Lisbon) and also the logistics HQ of the Army for the truck convoys that crossed the Military Road-Estrada Militar with shipments of bombs, ammunition, weapons and sometimes a few Moroccan tobacco and erotic magazines coveted on the black market. Despite deactivated by the Army in 1984, for its great phases of restoration the Custom Circus searched inspiration mostly in the frameworks of the 1st generation of Soldiers of this unit, men of a more romantic time that spent their licence nights in the sparkling Lisbon cabarets dancing with dangerous femmes fatales. These soldiers also opperated rude demobilized trucks of World War II that cruised the Military Road, and it's true that in those days local people whispered respectfully about these mysterious convoys roaring on moonless nights ...
The Military Road
66 is the actual door number of this fort in its original project. The Military Road that circles it inaugurated in 1902 while the famous Route 66 inaugurated in 1926. It took 39 years of construction to complete this road trench of 70Kms which was a national defense device called Lisbon's Entrenched Field. Fueling several forts and other military facilities this road protected Lisbon, acting as a security belt in its northern sector, just as the fortifications of the Tagus protected the South. Documents from 1902 to 1920 attest to the possibility of civilian use of this road by paying an annual fee like a "fat chicken" to the Army, thus giving the privilege to anyone who could afford the loss of such well nourished creature, to use this road paved with the innovative Mc Adam. And so, at a time when cars were still far away, many dreamers had already traveled on this road, whether in a carriage, on foot, horseback, or even in some theater caravan ...